The HappyEdugator

The HappyEdugator
People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

Click Here to Link to My TPT Store

Friday, June 2, 2017

Staying Hydrated While You Work

Did you know that you have to stay hydrated in order to stay focused? No matter what you do, you need to drink water and lots of it. Whether you are teaching a classroom of students, or sitting in front of a computer all day, you need to keep the cells of your body happy and hydrated so they can work.



According to the Mayo Clinic’s website, water is your body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of your body weight. Lack of water can cause dehydration. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.

The US News and World Report’s health coach and fitness expert Yuri Elkaim gives us this equation for figuring out how much fluid we need:
“The basic equation for determining this is by dividing your body weight in half. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, you would need 100 ounces of water per day if you're not doing anything strenuous. If you're working out, hiking, at a high altitude or outdoors a great deal, you're going to need to add to those 100 ounces.”

Yuri also recommends checking your urine…yup, he tells us to look at our pee! It should be clear. Not yellow or orange, folks. If it is, you should drink some more water. If it is brown…go to the hospital!
You can get some of your water intake from coffee, tea, or other drinks, but 60% should be pure water.
If you are exercising and sweating profusely, Yuri recommends adding half a teaspoon of sea salt to one glass of water to replace electrolytes. He doesn’t care for sports drinks that are loaded with artificial colors and flavorings. 
So, keep a water bottle with you at all times. 
Also, you need to avoid sugary drinks. Even if you don’t have diabetes, you may be able to lower your risk of getting it later in life if you cut out the sugar. Soft drinks and fruit juices are FULL of sugar…see the science experiment one of our students did this year. She boiled off the liquid to determine how much sugar was left in different kinds of drinks. The results were astonishing…for instance:
16 oz. Cola drink  11 tsp
16 oz. Sports drink 4.2 tsp
16 oz. Energy drink 9.2 tsp 



According to her research, in the United States, the average person consumes more than 150 pounds of sugar a year (almost half a pound a day)! 50 percent of the sugar we consume today comes from high fructose corn syrup soft drinks, salad dressings, ketchup and sauces.

Ditch the diet sodas. I drank diet soda for years. I can tell you what my experience was. I GAINED WEIGHT. Then, after ten years, I also had other problems…
headaches, tinnitus, tingling and numbness in my feet and hands, fatigue,
blurry vision, and loss of balance.
I did not have diabetes. My sugars were still fine. I tried to figure out what the problem was, and after lots of research, I zeroed in on aspartame. If you look it up, all of those problems are symptoms of aspartame poisoning. ( I didn’t have any idea it was poisonous, did you? So why was it in my diet soda? )
I quit drinking the diet sodas, and something amazing happened. Within 3 weeks, all those symptoms went away! 

What I Drink:

vCoffee in the morning with 1 pack of either stevia or monk fruit natural sweetener. ( If those are unavailable, I use 1 pack of sugar. I NEVER use artificial sweeteners. I do add milk or cream if I am out at a restaurant.
vWater all day long. I keep it with me. If I run out, it is an excuse to get up and move, stretch, and get some more water. Sometimes I will use a water infuser and flavor it with lemons or strawberries. (I appreciate the TPT water infuser bottle I got at last year’s conference!)
vOccasionally I will have some tea to have something different.
vI also drink a small 4 oz. juice glass of low sodium V-8 juice once a day

          I hope this helps remind you to stay hydrated so you can be more productive, no matter what you work at all day long. I will be presenting about keeping fit at the TPT conference in Anaheim, CA this July, and I hope to see you there. 

Best, 
Deborah






5 comments:

  1. Ahhh yes...I know a lot about staying hydrated at work since I am lucky enough to produce kidney stones if I don't. I was hospitalized twice last year because of dehydration and kidney stones while pregnant. What a combo, right?! I find that I get so caught up in teaching, phone calls, emails, and duties that I actually forget to drink, and sometimes eat. Plus, there was no bathroom on my floor to run to. I now make a conscious effort to drink much more during the day. We all should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gone all day (many times) because I do not stop to drink any water. It is such a simple thing to just PAUSE, take a sip and move on. I am definitely going to make more of an effort. Thank you for the motivation. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Click here free amazon gift codes.

    Click here free amazon gift codes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Click here Free Amazon Gift Card.

    Click here Free Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting information and education once ! thank for good post and sharing......

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete