The HappyEdugator

The HappyEdugator
People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

Click Here to Link to My TPT Store

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fun Fabulous February

February is a fabulous month for teaching. Besides really buckling down and getting ready for state testing, I love doing special activities for Groundhog Day, Black History month, Valentine's Day, and President's Day. Many great authors have birthdays this month, and even the great inventor, Thomas Edison. 
 
One activity I have used to engage my readers and inspire my writers is to show a PowerPoint of February Famous Authors, and then have students choose one to research and write about. I made slides on famous authors who had birthdays in February such as: Langston Hughes, Jerry Spinelli, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Charles Dickens, to name a few. Each slide tells a little about the classic author and their most famous works. 

Here is a link to the PowerPoint if you are interested:


On Valentine's Day, I LOVE to pass out my bookmarks as Valentines to my students. Check them out at:



I also have fun with a candy mythology listening activity. I have my students read the story of Demeter and Persephone, and after we have discussed the story, I read to them my mythology story full of candy names they have to listen for! They love it! Then they make puns afterwards to make a class joke book. 
This activity is available at: 


For Black History month, we like to watch the movie The Rosa Parks Story, and afterward, we watch Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream Speech. Then we read Robert Kennedy's speech after his assassination. I also use a PowerPoint on Dr. Martin Luther King, which engages students in a writing assignment at the end. By the time they are writing, they have plenty of background knowledge to pull from!


Lots to do this month!

Have fun! 
Deborah 

No comments:

Post a Comment