The HappyEdugator

The HappyEdugator
People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

Click Here to Link to My TPT Store

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Labor Day Weekend! Yay!

Some teachers have not started back to school yet, but I can't believe I have already been in school for three weeks! It has been quite challenging getting my body physically back to the long and hectic days. Some nights I come home totally exhausted and end up in bed by 7:30 pm! And I am not alone, because many of my colleagues tell me they feel the same way! Thank goodness it is Labor Day weekend, because I already need to recharge my batteries.
I am happy to have a great set of kids this year, and I am so excited about working with them. I had a couple of girls bring me a present already...a cute little angel ornament...because they were happy to be in my class. AWWWWW.
The new common core curriculum has been challenging, and our team has been collaboratively working together to make it work. An interesting development was that our special ed self-contained kids (not inclusion) are reading the same book as the regular ed kids and the gifted kids, and they LOVE doing what everyone else is doing. The kids really feel connected to the other kids, and that was certainly an unexpected bonus.
Our 7th grade Language Arts class has worked on parts of speech, strong verb sentences, sentence structure, plot diagrams, vocabulary, and read Seventh Grade by Gary Soto and Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling. We are beginning our first extended text, The Cay by Theodore Taylor. I found out that the PowerPoint I created for The Cay works extremely well in introducing the book.When discussing the setting, the map on one of the slides actually shows the lattitude and longitude that is mentioned in the book, and the students can actually see the little dots of islands they recognized as what must be "the cays." If you are going to read this book, try to get the audio version narrated by Levar Burton. The kids need the audio support to understand the Caribbean dialect.

Here is the link to my PowerPoint :
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Cay-PowerPoint-Introduction

To celebrate a three day weekend, I am having a sale in my TPT store. Stop over and take 10% off several back to school items!

Happy teaching! And welcome back to school if you get started next week!

Deborah
aka HappyEdugator

No comments:

Post a Comment